Installing flush fitting ceiling lights to loop-in circuits
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
timbo39
Labourer
Labourer

Installing flush fitting ceiling lights to loop-in circuits

by timbo39 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:04 pm

Hi,

I'd be grateful for advice on the safest and most effective way to install new flush fitting light fittings to a loop in circuit. (involving removing the ceiling rose)

I can't easily access floors from above (tiled floors etc). Options I can think of include:

Cutting holes in the ceiling and inserting (round) mounting boxes and using connector strip to make the connection.
Cutting holes in the ceiling and inserting junction boxes through them, attaching to joist.
Simply using the connector strip (4 terminals) on the light fitting, removing the rose, and connecting using the spare terminal for the loop cables. (one light fitting I have purchased recommends this, but its tricky getting all the cables into the connector strip and being confident they are secure).

This must be a very common issue, but I haven't found anything on the net about it.

Thanks!

Timbo

ericmark

by ericmark » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:45 am

Sorry but no real answer. As you say choc block shoved into hole is common much depends on details I have seen where the lamp ceiling fixing was large the ceiling rose being remounted on side of beam and common to use rose as a junction box. Non really follow regs to letter as all junction boxes should be accessible. On the continent they have push in connector block which will take 4 wires gray with thumb grip not reusable these crimp the cables but never seen these in UK.

"Cutting holes in the ceiling and inserting junction boxes through them, attaching to joist." Seems best option but why not use ceiling rose as junction box? But although best way its not the method I would use. But I can test at next socket in line so I can be sure no wires have fallen out. It really is something that one re-assesses at each job and always look for a better method. Cure would be re-design of light fittings but SHMBO is interested in what they look like not how to fit them. She says that's my job not hers!

All best Eric

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:17 pm

for Eric, just a note to say the push-fit connectors are now stocked by Rexell-Senates , made by Ideal Industries in U.S. & have UK approval,
well rated current wise & have access for test prods, regards SPARX

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:45 am