Installing Pendent Light in Place of GU10 Downlights
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Stuartgrn
Labourer
Labourer

Installing Pendent Light in Place of GU10 Downlights

by Stuartgrn » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:51 am

Hi! We currently have 5 GU10 down lights in our dining room - one in each corner and one in the middle. All 5 lights have GU10 LED bulbs installed and are connected to 1 wall switch. I am wondering if it would be possible to remove the down light fitting from the middle spotlight and use the wiring that is there to install a pendent light that would hang down over the dining room table? Would it be an easy job? I'm not bothered about controlling this centre light separately, just wanted something a bit different in the centre of the room over the table. Thanks for any advice.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Installing Pendent Light in Place of GU10 Downlights

by ericmark » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:27 pm

I see no problem, in the main GU10 bulbs are 230 volt and either a ceiling unit google 2D lamps or a pendent lamp in the centre would make sense. I would keep to 230 volt lighting, although you can get LED lights in both 230 volt and 12 volt there are problems with the 12 volt versions. Your GU10 will take LED without any conversion but the G5.3 12 volt versions often need new power supplies.

So keep clear of any G4 bulbs these are a real pain, E14, E27, BA22d bulbs are easy to convert to LED if you want to latter.

Internet do converters GU10 to E14 and I have seen a really simple swap from the GU10 which points all light to floor to E14 candle bulbs which point the light in most directions other than up and it needed 2/3 of the wattage. Both were LED but the simple candle bulb simply gave a better spread.

Also consider which way up the bulbs are held, with a white ceiling and bulb holder at the bottom you get a shadowless light, but pointing down to get more shadows as in the main LED bulbs do not shine any light in the direction of the bulb holder. Clearly with an orange ceiling then reflecting light off the ceiling would make everything orange.

So white ceiling have lights pointing up, any other colour have lights pointing down. I know you did not say LED but you may as well give yourself the option for latter.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:04 pm