Insulating an old terrace
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
vbrain
Labourer
Labourer

Insulating an old terrace

Post by vbrain » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:09 am

hello,

I need some advice normally I just pay someone to do it however like most I'm feeling the cost of things at the moment so looks like I'm doing it myself.

I want to insulate the walls of my 1906 mid terrace house I'm starting with the living room and will do the rest of the house as funds become available.

I'm only insulating external wall (with double glazed bay window already installed) and the adjoing wall (mainly for a degree of sound proofing)

my plan is to remove the coving and skirting board then baton the walls add insulation (unsure what type yet) and then plasterboard over, put down new skirting and coving.

I have the following questions

1) Do i need to strip off the old plaster

2) My floor is suspended is there anything that may cause me problems with condensation etc.

3) I have two hot water pipes and a gas main exposed on the existing plaster that I plan on hiding in the batoned plasterboard what do i need to cover them with (to stop people drilling into them)

4) any recommendations on insulation to use as theres so much on the market, my preference is thin but effective, I wouldn't want to go much deeper then 50mm + plasterboard

if you have any advice on any of the questions it would be greatfully received

regards

lee

shass
Labourer
Labourer

Post by shass » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:10 pm

Hello there,
As i posted a day or so regarding someones query about insulation. I have just gone through first winter after having insulated the top floor of house, my kids used to refer to our bedroom as the "fridge" as it was so cold (3 outside walls) but now its snug and warm and heating bills have plummeted.
The process you are thinking of is dry lining, you dont need battens ect, For insulating older properties i.e. no cavity use thermal wall board, available at most builders merchants. Essentially it is plasterboard with a slab of polystyrene bonded to it, it comes in various thicknesses and is relatively inexpensive. You bond it to the wall with dry wall adhesive (looks a bit like grey plaster) also at builders merchant after having removed skirting and anything else in the way. Strip wallpaper,no need to remove existing plaster if its in reasonable condition, loose stuff, remove and patch, no need to make a mirror smooth finish as its going to be boarded over with the thermal board. You only need to do outside walls, obviously, and you dont really lose any space...its not noticeable when finished, except for the warmer house.
The board should stop a couple of inches above floor, replace skirting and build up frames to windows and doors if required to cover edges of new depth. My old Victorian house is now snug and warm, and gas bills cheaper..)

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:51 am