Intermittent Overflow of Central Heating Header Tank

Postby LANILEY » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:39 pm

My old style oil CH system has operated successfully for the last 10 years, however recently I noticed a slight drip from the CH header tank overflow pipe.

I suspected the ball cock and had it replaced. Unfortunately the system continues to overflow ranging from nothing, to a drip , to a continuous overflow.

Additionally it continued to drip when I had the CH turned off for 3 days.

I have bled all the radiators, and run the system with all 27 radiators turned on to make sure there was no blockage in the system.

I assume there is no point in turning down the speed of the water circulation pump since I have never had the problem in the past.

Any ideas would be most welcome.

p.s. I know there are many posts like this but I am unable to find one that is the same as mine - apologies if I have missed one.
Many thanks in advance,
David
LANILEY
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby GayEddie » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:40 pm

Do you have two tanks in loft if so do you have two overflow pipes or are they joined to one
GayEddie
Progress to next rank:
73.7%

Postby LANILEY » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:04 pm

Thank you for your interest.

I have two tanks in different lofts and they both have separate overflow pipes.
LANILEY
Progress to next rank:
25%

Postby GayEddie » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:32 pm

My first thought is the ball valve is still not fixed, can you isolate the tank as in turn off the ball valve.

I think it is still dripping in tank filling it quiet full ( should only be quarter full ) then when you put the boiler on the water starts to heat then it starts pouring out of overflow pipe
GayEddie
Progress to next rank:
73.7%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!