Internal insulation
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
the-demi-god
Apprentice
Apprentice

Internal insulation

by the-demi-god » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:49 pm

My house was originally built in the late 30s I put an extention on some years ago, kitchen 15'X12' and living area 10'x12' the original back wall is about 22' long. Although the outside was all insulated at the time, in the winter it is still cold internally where the old building meets the new. We have checked out the flashing and all the areas where the buildings join and they seem sound and intact there is no significant dampness. When I was offered insulation (which I already had in all of the exterior walls) I asked if they could put insulation into the gap between the old brick wall and the stud partition which we installed instead of just plastering, but the young chap had no idea what we were asking for and waffled about not being sure if it was a good idea to insulate internal walls.
I have wooden panneling (instead of wall paper) so I could take it off without then having to redecorate half the house but what do I put in? I asked them because I thought that liquidish foam would have suited and I did not think it was the kind of thing you could use for diy ing but it would be difficult to put anything else in without dismantling half of the back of the house.
The question is, is there anything that I could put in if I take the panneling off, I am not as fit as I used to be but my son will help and we are game to try almost anything that would help especially in this weather with the cost of energy as it is.
Thank you

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Internal insulation

by welsh brickie » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:48 am

you can have polystyrene ball insulation pumped into the gap or recyled paper blown in,but if you can remove the panelling you can use fibreglass insulation to fill the gap from the inside.

the-demi-god
Apprentice
Apprentice

by the-demi-god » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:12 pm

That's great
Since I have never seen any equip for that kind of thing, for either sale or rental I assume a firm should do it.
So 2 questions, can you give me any idea of how much I can anticipate paying, and do you know any reliable firms in the Glasgow area who do it.

Thank you for your help

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:59 am

You may be eligible for a grant for insulating your property,check with your local council for more information.
If not, they usually have information on which local company installs it.

the-demi-god
Apprentice
Apprentice

by the-demi-god » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:18 pm

Hi,

I will do that I thought that I would not be eligible because the outside walls and loft are insulated but there is no harm in asking they can only say no. I wont be any worse off and they should have a list of reliable firms that do that kind of thing.

Thank you for your help

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:02 pm