Is an expansion gap in concrete needed?
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

CherylB
Labourer
Labourer

Is an expansion gap in concrete needed?

by CherylB » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:55 am

I had a Karndean style floor installed in my new conservatory 18 months ago and it keeps lifting.

When the floor was laid we had a membrane put on the new concrete to seal it prior to laying the screed. The screed is seperating from the membrane - all products and brands were used for the exact purpose they were recommended for.

The product supppliers are now claiming that the problem wih the floor is due to the fact that the concrete is expanding during warm weather and that there is not expansion gap in the concrete.

I can appreciate massive distribution warehouses may need expansion gaps but I've never heard of a concrete floor in domestic use needing an expansion gap. Indeed the flooring contractor claimed that a foam perimeter should be installed before pouring cement into a space created by 4 brick walls - I'm an avid viewer of home improvement programs and have never seen or heard of such a thing happening!

Are they baffling me with science fiction or is this true? The conservatory is 8 x 4.5 metres in size.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:31 am