Is single shower pump right or wrong......
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
splitty
Labourer
Labourer

Is single shower pump right or wrong......

by splitty » Mon May 14, 2007 2:12 pm

...... if I want to connect it to hot only ?

Conventional indirect boiler system fitted, shower in en-suite has
a dedicated cold from the storage tank in the roof which has enough pressure, hot water is of course fed from cylinder in airing cupboard.

I was hoping to fit a single 1.5 bar pump to the hot water feed only. If I do this, [b]will the water through the mixer to the shower head be too hot ????[/b] ie, will the pressure from the hot side not allow cold to mix ??[/b]

I'd fit the pump between mixer and shower head if I could but it would
mean a hell of a lot of work in wall/ceiling penetrations and redirecting pipes.

Had a look in the projects section and no real help.....

Many thanks in advance...

DONFRAMAC
Ganger
Ganger

Is single shower pump right or wrong?

by DONFRAMAC » Tue May 15, 2007 1:16 am

You need equal pressures, so fit a twin-impeller continuously-rated pump in your indirect-cylinder cupboard, where you have hot, at static head + cold also, from the cold feed to the base of the cylinder;-- tee off using 15 mm, so that cylinder feed is not deprived of flow;---- run the 2 15 mm runs from the pump, all the way to the mixer valve assy. in the shower cubicle. Choose a heavy-duty pump-- I speak from bitter experience.

splitty
Labourer
Labourer

Thanks..

by splitty » Tue May 15, 2007 3:25 pm

Thanks DONFRAMAC for sharing your experience, sounds fairly straight forward really. Certainly within my capability.

When you say a heave duty pump, what would be your recommendation ?
The pump is only going to feed 1 shower so I was assuming that a 1.5bar would be adequate.

Thanks again...

DONFRAMAC
Ganger
Ganger

by DONFRAMAC » Tue May 15, 2007 6:59 pm

I would suggest you look at the "TOOLSTORE" part of this website, check "shower pumps", and you will see a range of Salamander brand twin-impeller pumps. The top 3 in the range are continuously rated, but you get what you pay for! There is an advice phone number for the firm.

DONFRAMAC
Ganger
Ganger

by DONFRAMAC » Thu May 17, 2007 12:38 am

"Julianroche", replied elsewhere to a shower supply problem on the "plumbing" part of the forum. His experience of using a Salamander twin-impeller 1.5 bar pump using 22 mm pipes, feeding an Aqualisa blender with overhead rose, was unimpressive, no real power, just similar to a high power electric unit. Professionals commenting on these pages say 4 bar will cope with any type of shower cubicle eg multi-direcional.
"Julianroche" did comment that his pump claimed to be able to supply 2 showers, so a pinch of salt seems advised.

splitty
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Is single shower pump right or wrong?

by splitty » Mon May 21, 2007 3:16 pm

[quote="DONFRAMAC"]"Julianroche", replied elsewhere to a shower supply problem on the "plumbing" part of the forum. His experience of using a Salamander twin-impeller 1.5 bar pump using 22 mm pipes, feeding an Aqualisa blender with overhead rose, was unimpressive, no real power, just similar to a high power electric unit. Professionals commenting on these pages say 4 bar will cope with any type of shower cubicle eg multi-direcional.
"Julianroche" did comment that his pump claimed to be able to supply 2 showers, so a pinch of salt seems advised.[/quote]

I hear what you say DONFRAMAC

I've gone and ordered one of the Stuart Turner pumps. They seem to cost a bit more than the others but like you say, you get what you pay for. Having new cubicle fitted this week coming so maybe next weekend I'll connect it up. Will let the forum know.

Cheers again.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:26 am