is there another way around triangle rafters
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
daveym
Labourer
Labourer

is there another way around triangle rafters

Post by daveym » Sun May 04, 2008 4:42 pm

HI ALL diy's
I am a little green when it comes to loft convert's..my loft is large and my question is.... :roll: :roll: :roll: it is full off wooden rafters the one's you get in new build's is there a way aroud these could i just have the rafters removed and wooden beams instored instead? if this is possible to create space would this be very costly?
thanks for your time
davey :D :D :D :D :D

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Sun May 04, 2008 9:45 pm

The short answer is yes but with a very very large BUT attached to it.

The timbers in the roof are there to hold the roof up. Just removing them and replacing with something for which proper structural calculations haven't been done is inviting your roof to be in your front garden one morning.

The fact that you asked the question and from the way it is phrased says this is something you should not under any circumstances be doing yourself.

I really think you should get a professional in to look at it and quote. Then get two more to compare. That's the only way you are going to find out what it's going to cost to do the job in your particular house.

It won't cost pennies though.

Cheers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:36 am