Is this a cowboy or accepted practice?
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dunmiedin
Labourer
Labourer

Is this a cowboy or accepted practice?

by dunmiedin » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:36 am

My new windows look good from the outside but surely this cannot be right. Various widths of pvc beading have been applied on the inside of the windows which I expected and initially thought they looked ok. Before the installation I specifically asked the fitter about damage to plaster and he assured me it would be minimal anyway and he would repair any damage. This was not put in writing on the quote. I was at home on day 1 and he patched up the plaster in a bedroom. After that I left him to it. A few weeks later I noticed a gale blowing into my bedroom and took down the blind to investigate. The trim fell off with half a bucket of sealant leaving a massive gap which my hand fit into all the way along. Stuffed in the hole was various lengths of kitchen roll he had used cleaning the sealant and it was wet. I was having some plastering done at the time and paid the plasterer to repair it. he was quite shocked at the way it had been left. I got the fitter to come back when the trim came off 2 smaller windows but to a lesser degree. As a timid female I watched him just stick it back on. Then in January whilst replacing the kichen tiles I was horrified to see that thick black wet mould was under the tiles on the window sill.There was enormous gaps all round the widow and I could see rain pouring in. The outside sealant did not go all the way under the window and there was a crack in cement he had used replacing half a brick. if not for the tiling the house could have flooded before I noticed it. Evey room is the same bodged work and the wallpaper is the only thing holding damaged plaster in place. Today I am removing wallpaper in the dining room. As the trim is stuck to the wallpaper it has all come off exposing more massive gaps stuffed with toilet roll and masking tape. I understand making good is time consuming but I paid him to do the work and I cannot plaster. the house is freezing with wind howling in from somewhere?? can you advise me what to do before I ring him again. I have photographed all of these horrors if you need to see them. thanks Julie

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

double glazing

by welsh brickie » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:38 pm

Sorry to hear about that.The problem is when it comes to fitting windows some fitters are not trained properly, or are just bad workmen.
The industry is starting to correct these problems with the help of the government.There is a government body called FENSA which polices Double glazing installation which all installers must register with.
Keep your pictures and report this to FENSA and call the council and ask for the Building Control Officer to assess the workmanship.I hope this helps,It gives all builders a bad name with this kind of work.If you have work done again use only VEKA approved fitters they are strictly supervised and trained accordingly.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:05 am