Is this too heavy for the 1st floor??
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
puds
Labourer
Labourer

Is this too heavy for the 1st floor??

by puds » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:20 am

Hi,

Planning on getting a treadmill weighing about 400lbs (without me bouncing up and down on it!) - will this place too heavy a load for the 1st floor?

No idea about joist sizes etc, but I figured it MUST be less load than a large double bed with occupants etc...

Thanks in advance

Adam

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:36 pm

Talk to a structural engineer if you are concerned about floor loadings and get specific calculations done for your property.

You WILL NOT get any other advice here or anywhere else frankly and if you do you shouldn't listen to it because it won't be sensible.

Cheers
Last edited by rosebery on Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:54 pm

Depends entirely on the floor. As Rosebery says, anyone posting a yes or no here is just guessing but please bear in mind this is almost 30 stone plus your weight and both of these are just dead loads. You jumping up and down is a considerable addition to this.

matt h
Tradesman
Tradesman

by matt h » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:42 am

400lb downloading over a smallarea plus your weight...seems a lot to me, but what do I know..only been building for thirty five years.. :wink: .I would have thought you would need to at least double up on the joists, but then again depends on the size and spacing of existing joists, span of room etc. Obviously the thicker the joist and the smaller the span, the better the loading capability. In older properties with smaller joists, I,ve had to reinforce the floors just to take the weight of a bath... If you could give us a clue as to the layout and subfloor I might be able to advise further,but as previous posts have pointed out you would benefit from a full survey

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1