Isolation switch in kitchen
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
matty_hunt
Apprentice
Apprentice

Isolation switch in kitchen

by matty_hunt » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:39 pm

Hi. Im currently planning my new kitchen but know nothing of the current regulations relating to the electrics. I have however noticed in others new kitchens that they have isolation switches for every appliance, located on the wall in the usual plug socket location.
As I am wanting to keep the looks very minimalist, would I be allowed to have these isolation switches located, say, in a cupboard in the room above the kitchen, or inside a kitchen cabinet, away from being on display above the worktop?
Many thanks.

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:08 pm

Please take a look at our DIY Projects section and go to the project on Part P of the building regulations. The kitchen is a dangerous area where electrical work is covered by many regulations.

matty_hunt
Apprentice
Apprentice

by matty_hunt » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:14 am

Thanks doc but that hasnt helped me. Im aware there are regulations and that I dont know what they are. I didnt make it clear in my original post but I have no intention of doing the work myself. I wanted to know purely for a design layout so I can get as many options straight with myself before I start to call out the pros.
cheers.

ericmark

by ericmark » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:45 am

The rules for isolation switches are grey. And so I will not try to spout regulations but say why we use them. A washing machine etc. will normally fit into a space and the only way to reach the isolation point (Plug and socket) would be to pull out the machine. If something like the weights had come lose on the washing machine was why you wanted to switch if off dragging it out while it's trying to bash you kitchen to pieces is not really an option. So some form of easy reach remote switching is called for. Putting them in room above would be useless of course especially if fire was why you wanted to isolate you would not want to go up-stairs in that case. And placing in any place which would increase the time required would be counter productive.
However most washing machines etc have a work top built into their design and installing without covering with a work top so the main plug is readily available would remove the requirement to fit isolators. Not sure I would want a kitchen of that design though OK in utility room not so good in a kitchen.
I suppose by the door would be best location so either when running in to see what's wrong or running out to escape what's wrong you could hit the switches. But this will normally increase costs and look odd.
I don't know your kitchen design but I would say in the main one can find discrete locations and best is to ask who ever is doing the work. After all he/she has sign the paperwork so at end of the day it is up to them what they will permit. If something goes wrong they have to justify why they did it not you or me.
Eric

matty_hunt
Apprentice
Apprentice

by matty_hunt » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:11 am

Thanks Eric.
Hadnt thought of the 'in an emergency' aspect. My first thought would have been to flip the trip in the fuse box but maybe not all fuseboards are as easily accessable as mine.
Looks like I will have to splash out on some swish looking sockets and live with it on the wall.
cheers.

Ah, just thought. maybe the underside of the wall units would be ok. It would be hidden by the cornice but still fully accessable!?!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:02 pm