Just had new water tank installed - has he done it right?
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Robbie G
Labourer
Labourer

Just had new water tank installed - has he done it right?

by Robbie G » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:06 pm

Hi all

We've just had our 25 gal cold water tank replaced with a 50 gal in the loft due to having had a bathroom refit with pumped shower etc. and the shower draining the water away too quickly for a 25 gal tank.

Anyway I've come back from work and all seems ok except for two things:

- they've left loads of black plastic debris from the drilling in the cistern. They even left a round cutting from one of the holes.
- where the hot water vent pipe comes up from the hot cylinder in the airing cupboard and runs into the cold water tank, they've just drilled the lid with a hole far wider than the vent pipe, meaning there's a 2cm gap all around the pipe.

The above concern me as I don't want my expensive shower pump trying to pump bits of plastic, and I thought the tank should be protected against insect entry? They've insulated it fine and the other pipe connections are ok, it's just the debris and the vent pipe that concerns me.

Sound normal to you or should I refuse to pay until they've rectified?

Many thanks.

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:29 am

Hi Rob,

Simply sounds like they have left the debris. As for the hole - fill it?
Retain a small amount for making good and release this if they return?

nitro23456
Foreman
Foreman

by nitro23456 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:11 am

Do you mean they left the debris in the tank so it is floating around - thats pretty poor, but its not going to hurt you to fish it out.

As for the vent pipe it should really be fitted through a rubber grommett in the lid that seals round it. Also a bylaw 30 kit can be bought to prevent insect ingress via overflow pipes (a mesh in the pipe to stop them crawling through) and to stop ingress through any tank blanks etc.

I'm not sure if this is a REQUIREMENT or optional - I'm sure someone will be able to advise on this....... I presume they have lagged the tanl and pipes properly?

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:34 pm

Don't think it's optional - ie it IS a requirement. Oh and BW Byelaw 30 is now Regulation 16 but suppliers still sell the kits as Byelaw 30 (England and Wales) and Byelaw 60 (Scotland). There are differences because the regs are different!!!!

Cheers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:06 pm