Kitchen Cabinet, Hollow Wall, Metal Studs, No Wood Nogging
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

ateece
Labourer
Labourer

Kitchen Cabinet, Hollow Wall, Metal Studs, No Wood Nogging

by ateece » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:24 pm

Hope someone has some experience of the above.

We want to hang 2 kitchen cabinets in our utility room on an internal wall. Unfortunately the construction uses metal studs and there appears to be no wooden noggins either :(

Given that the cupboards are from Ikea they are mounted on a rail. So I can put lots of screws in.

So I was thinking of using plasterboard anchors (I have a setting tool - they're my preferred hollow wall fixing for lighter stuff) every 10cm and making sure to put 1 dead-centre of both metal studs which are behind.

Does anyone think this will take the weight? The cupboards will be approximately 40kg for the pair + contents.

If this is likely to end in disaster is the alternative cutting into the plasterboard all the way across, pushing some wooden noggins in (and then up from the hole) and screwing them into the metal studs. Then screw the rail through the plasterboard to my new nogging? Sounds like a lot of work and beyond my DIY skills - but at least it would be hidden behind the cupboards.

It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:56 am