Kitchen extraction up the chimney
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sofapriest
Labourer
Labourer

Kitchen extraction up the chimney

by sofapriest » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:42 pm

Hi there,

I was wondering if it is possible to run a kitchen extractor up the chimney? What possible pitfalls might there be?

sofapriest

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:58 pm

sofapriest,
Condensation in the chimney will be a problem.
end

sofapriest
Labourer
Labourer

by sofapriest » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:08 pm

would you run a flue right up the chimney? Otherwise you might get smells in the room above, I guess? Would this stop the condensation issue?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:59 pm

sofapriest,
You could run a SS liner in the chimney and fit a condensate trap and drain on the bottom end.
end

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:18 pm

I was asked to do this some time ago as they had a range cooker fitted in an old chimney breast.

I have to say, it actually has worked really well even without any form of extractor as the draw up the chimney was quite sufficient to remove the air.

Damp does not seem to be a problem either as the constant circulation dries the chimney after cooking has finished.

The only problem she has is even though the chimney was well swept, small particles of soot still fall especially if it is windy.

sofapriest
Labourer
Labourer

by sofapriest » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:43 pm

Thats exactly the situation I am in- Rayburn in there at the moment. Is there any particular type of extractor I should use. I suppose a canopy one would be the right one? They are not so powerful, though. But then if there is natural draw up the chimney that wouldn't be a problem, would it?
Would it be ok to block up the firplace in the bedrom above?

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:14 am

We found mechanical assistance simply wasn't required as the natural draw of the chimney easily removed all of the smells and vapours even though it is a bungalow. Of course it carries on "extracting" after the cooking has finished which I suppose, might be a bad point as much as a good one.

Hers is a breast with an oak beam fitted across at the height stipulated for a gas hob. So the chimney opening is something like 900 x 500. She had a piece of sheet steel cut to size, perforated with small holes and then had it powder coated to the colour of the cooker. I built a framework and fitted it. I have to say it looks the business and silent too!

You need a good cowl fitting as we found water came down onto the cooker when it rained heavily.

I think it would benefit by having a baffle or filter fitted in the chimney as some dust does fall when it's windy, however, she insists it really isn't so bad.

I can't see why you couldn't use a canopy extractor, and there are plenty about that are really powerful. Not that you would need it.

sofapriest
Labourer
Labourer

by sofapriest » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:46 pm

That's great, thanks

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:19 pm