Kitchen Flooring
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Cheezybits
Labourer
Labourer

Kitchen Flooring

by Cheezybits » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:32 pm

I am doing a quick makeover job on my kichen - until I can do a better extension in a few years time. The floor is part concrete and part boarding where the original extension was done.

As a result, the Vinyl covering has cracked along the join.

I want to put down a new Vinyl covering to last me another 5 years or so.

I haven't lifted the old flooring yet as it is glued down exremely well but pretty sure they have used thin board under the Vinyl .

What do I need to do to fill the crack to ensure it doesn't split the covering again?

Thanks.

hrpuffnstuff
Labourer
Labourer

by hrpuffnstuff » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:41 pm

I presume you are asking how to JOIN the vinyl??

Either, EVOSTICK solid, B&Q sell this, it doesn't run when you use it, its like spreading butter.

Put a fine spread on the floor, (ask for a spreader when you buy this stuff, and DON'T use a spreader with notches in it, you're just wasting glue)
and put a fine spread on the vinyl.
wait for about 10 mins. until its dry to the touch.
Put the two together, don't rub it hard just yet, make sure you have aligned properly, don't worry if you don't get it right first time, as this glue is MOVABLE you can align it.
NOW when its aligned rub hard.
Now using a HIGH MODULUS CLEAR MASTIC (look on the tubes for High Modulus) run a line of mastic along the joint.
Use a WET FINGER to get the access of
(Remember, when you rub of the access mastic DONT put your finger back into your mouth before drying it!!!!
You would be surprised how many people I have seen do this.
P.S I am new here, but have been fitting kitchens and all associated with them for over 25 years.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:42 am