Kitchen sink backflow & foul smell?
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
3magnet
Tradesman
Tradesman

by 3magnet » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:24 pm

I have this problem with my kitchen sink.
It is a one & one half bowl sink, which has a sink & waching machine connection 'S' bend pipe fitted.
The problem is that when we drain water from the half bowl sink, it immediately backflows into the main sink & takes ages to drain away. This drainage problem also happens with the main sink, where the water might drain away up to a point; where it then fills up again into the main sink & takes ages to drain away.
This problem also happens when we do washing. When the washing machine does its' spin cycle or refills with fresh water, the old water pushes up into the main sink and also takes ages to drain away. This obviously leaves us with a horrid smell in the house.
We have poured corrosive chemicals down the hatch to dissolve any grease or other matter, which did not solve the problem. I have disconnected all the pipes to check for any obstructions, but nothing.
We are at our witts end & don't know what else to do. With all of the drainage problems, there has also developed a foul smell coming from the outside drain. Unfortunately this is under the conservatory floor, which I am willing to lift it need be to solve the problem.
Doe anyone have a clue what to do about this? Do I change the connections to something else, do i fit addtional connections to the current pipes? Please help!!!

bobplum
Foreman
Foreman

by bobplum » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:41 pm

me personaly i would change all the connections ,put anew waste trap on when everthing is off i would insert a hose into the waste pipe and flush water thru
if you do have a external manhole lift this and flush fom that end
with seeing hard to give accurate answer

3magnet
Tradesman
Tradesman

by 3magnet » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:31 am

Thanks Bobplum,
Would there be any chance of me sending you some photos of the connections & you can give your recommendation as what I should change/keep.
Thanks again.

bobplum
Foreman
Foreman

by bobplum » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:42 pm

no harm in trying

bobplum
Foreman
Foreman

by bobplum » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:43 pm

if you want send them to chesterplumber@btinternet.com

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:07 am

Take a look at our projects on unblocking drains and also at the one on gurgling basin. Its unlikely that an an air admittance valve will solve what seems to be a blockage underground but for the money it will cost to install it may be worth a go.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:05 am