kitchen worktop joints
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
paul_handyman
Apprentice
Apprentice

kitchen worktop joints

by paul_handyman » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:54 pm

I am in the process of fitting a new kitchen.
I have got as far as the worktops and am a bit unsure of how to proceed.

To make the joints I have purchased a worktop jig and router. I am confident I can do these joints easily enough.

My problem is though, the jig will make the joints a perfect 90 degees and one posiible both walls ('U' shaped kitchen) are not square.

How do I allow for the run off when making the joints?

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:04 pm

only last week i was faced with the same problem and the answer is... with difficulty! and much due care, patience and painstaking work! but it can be done.

scribe and fit the two sides first then rout out the female joints. put the worktop that forms the end/bottom of the 'U' in place and draw (use masking tape on the 'face up' male joint end of the worktop.) the outline of the cuts. you will find a couple of offcuts of the worktop are useful here to pack up the worktops where required.

then, carefully draw another line at the correct distance away from this one, to allow for the guide bush on the router (usually 9mm or thereabouts, check to see if it says in your manaul for the jig or guide bush). now carefully align your jig to this and away you go! would love to know how you get on.

toptips
Ganger
Ganger

by toptips » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:13 pm

trend do a dvd about joining kitchen worktops for around £4,well worth a look if you've not done this job before.

allan the locksmith
Tradesman
Tradesman

by allan the locksmith » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:33 pm

A big tip is to make sure you are cutting inwards with the rotation of the router bit.Get it wrong and the router will chip the outside joint edge as the cutter rotates outwards away from the edge.

vardy
Labourer
Labourer

worktops

by vardy » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:32 pm

just a few top tips.. always cut left to right!,
if your working with high gloss black work top mark with a stanley knife to get a clean perfect line to work from,
use a peice of card between the clamps and worktop surface,
make sure the clamps you use are g-clamps and once tightened dont allow for any movement,
when cutting the butt scribes go through first only bout two mill or so and then follow with a jigsaw (very important when cutting worktop face down!, also helps with the life of the blade). 8)

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

by TheDoctor4 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:49 am

Hi there!

Have you had a look at the DIY projects section of this site. There are several projects related to worktops and cutting worktops!

Regards

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:21 pm