laminate boards opening up
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
markyp
Labourer
Labourer

laminate boards opening up

by markyp » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:17 am

hope some one can help me. i have recently had a new floor laid, when it was put in it looked great, however it has since then started to change, the joints between each board are opening up, and each board can easily be seen, this was not so when first put in, i had it put in by my builder and he says this is meant to happen, but im not so sure, all he has offered is a filler for the growing gaps.

mr_vampy
Apprentice
Apprentice

by mr_vampy » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:27 pm

Was is a click system laminate floor that was installed? I would disagree with your builder and say this is not meant to happen. Don't let him fill in the gaps, it'll look terrible!!! Were the packs of flooring left in the room to be fitted for a few days so they could acclimatise?

markyp
Labourer
Labourer

by markyp » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:02 am

yeah, it is click together, and yes it was left in the room for about a week. how ever no damp course was used. im a little worried that moisture can get in the gaps and cause damage. the gaps are not huge but you can fit in your nail in some. my concern is what it will look like in 6 months when i will have no come back. i have paid him most for works done but not all yet.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:25 am

It is NOT suppposed to happen. It sounds like it all needs to come up and relay. Give your builder the job at his cost or get it done yourself and give him the bill afterwards.

Cheers

markyp
Labourer
Labourer

by markyp » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:25 am

thanks for your help. didnt seem right.

mr_vampy
Apprentice
Apprentice

by mr_vampy » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:23 pm

What was the subfloor, was it wooden floorboards or concrete? If it was concrete, is it old or new? And what type of underlay used, foam or fibreboards?
As rosebery says, it will all need to come up and be relaid properly.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:24 pm