Laminate floor direction
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rinkydinkydooodaa
Apprentice
Apprentice

Laminate floor direction

Post by rinkydinkydooodaa » Wed May 27, 2009 4:59 am

Hi and thanks in advance for your help or comments
The room is long with the floorboards running length ways and the window is in the middle of the longest wall which means the boards are running across the light source. I have read that I should run the flooring across the floor boards as opposed to along side them but i think it wont look so good. I will be using Fibreboard Underlay to take out any slight gaps. hope this all makes sense . Any suggestions please. :?

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Wed May 27, 2009 9:04 pm

Boards running across a light source (works the same for ceiling paper BTW) can give rise to a shadow effect as the light hits the edge. So it is sensible to fit boards such that the light runs along the edges rather than across.

Equally when you fit laminate flooring it is sensible to run the laminate boards at right angles to the existing floorboards irrespective of what sort of underlay you use.

In your case I would suggest that the correct solution is to lay the laminate at right angles to your existing boards thus covering both situations.

Why do you think this would not "look so good"?

In reality with lamionate flooring you can trial lay it both ways if you have an aesthetic problem you want to resolve and see which you like the best.

Cheers

rinkydinkydooodaa
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by rinkydinkydooodaa » Thu May 28, 2009 12:51 pm

Thanks for advice Rosebery. It's just that the room is quite long and when I see the current floorboards down it does kinda look better than I imagine having shorter runs across, plus there would be far less cutting involved. having said that I will take on your advice and run them from the light source.
It's my sons bedroom so he won't be too fussed and although he is autistic he doen't have a aesthetic problem.

Cheers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:52 pm