Lateral Restraint
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
DavieDIY
Labourer
Labourer

Lateral Restraint

by DavieDIY » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:16 am

My house is well over 100 years old and part of a front wall is slightly bowed out. The surveyor assures me it's not subsidence but is lateral movement of about 10mm, because no lateral restraint was incorporated at build. This only affects one wall which divides the front room and hall and the crack is about 300mm away from the corner. I intend to knock off all the old plaster that is no longer bonded, re-point the gaps in the brickwork and fit up to 6 restraining straps before re-plastering. If this plan is along the right lines:
a) how big should the straps be ? and
b) how far should they extend back to the part of the wall that has not been subject to deflection?
For example I was thinking I could overlay or stagger flat straps to further extend the anchoring to 2 metres or more? Thanks in advance for any advice.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Lateral Restraint

by welsh brickie » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:14 pm

rake out the mortar, paint a pva solution on the wall to stabilize it,and fix expanding metal over the area,then replaster.

DavieDIY
Labourer
Labourer

by DavieDIY » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:22 pm

Thank you for the quick reply which is greatly appreciated. Though I probably did not explain correctly so I have attached a drawing which may better illustrate what we are trying to solve. Sorry my technical drawing skills are not good but hopefully it demonstrates the situation. The slight bowing of the wall has actually pulled the brickwork and it is further shifting or bowing that we want to prevent or restrain. Thanks again in advance.
Attachments
wall.png

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:58 pm

hi,having seen your illustration,I know what you mean, if you use wallplate straps heavy gauge 600mm long should do the job.If you use mesh aswell it will help to bind the wall.Use expanding foam to hold the straps,it will expand in every little space better than any other product and is very strong when set.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:28 am