Information, help and advice on all areas of landscaping and land design

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Laying a new lawn

Post by TheDoctor4 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:52 pm

Hi

Does anyone know what the best time of year to lay a new lawn is?

Cheers

bones
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by bones » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:19 pm

Spring or autumn.

Advice is usually best to avoid the summer as it can be too hot (although i don't think that is really true this year!!)

I've laid lawns in the middle of summer however and as long as they are kept damp while they are bedding in they should be fine.

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by TheDoctor4 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:04 pm

Hi

Thanks for the info!!!

Cheers

tgetty
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Laying a new lawn

Post by tgetty » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:18 pm

[b][color=darkblue][/color][size=18
Hi I would so appreciate some tips _ my garden is a steep hill _ I am digging out the soil at the moment to get a flat piece of grass to "sunbathe"_ :lol: -
First of all How do I know its level ? (its an area approx 12x12 ft)secondly do I have to put anything on the soil before I turf it? thirdly Any tips on how to actually lay it ? I do have a bit of a clue but not too sure if Im right thanx Traceyx[/b] :

ocean
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ocean » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:14 pm

I assume what u are doing is digging out a section of the hill to build a terrace. Thats a lot of digging!!!. knock in a master marker peg. Using a level board, (a straight plank approximately 2m long and 2cm thick,) knock in other pegs level with the master peg, by placing the level board on the master peg and the new peg and aligning with a spirit-level on top of the level board. Work across the site carefully tapping in level pegs, Soil can then be removed or added until appropriate level. do ensure that the terrace back is properly secured to ensure against collapse. Railway sleepers well secured or a wall is a good idea. Turfing depends on the soil and how pefect a job yr after. hold back some of the top soil whe u start digging and place over yr new surface and that should be sufficient for a half decent lawn if the sub soil is clay or chalk for example.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:26 pm