Laying Carpet onto Magnesite Floor That's Laid onto Concrete
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Jnix
Labourer
Labourer

Laying Carpet onto Magnesite Floor That's Laid onto Concrete

by Jnix » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:38 am

Hi

I have a 1920s house with magnesite laid onto concrete on the ground floor (presumably in the 1960s). Up until now, there's been lino on top of that, and then underlay/carpet. Needless to say that has caused damp problems because of moisture being trapped.

We've removed the carpet/underlay/lino and are now going to have new carpet laid (with a breathable underlay) in a couple of days time.

It really isn't an option to remove the magnesite and level the floor (too expensive).

The magnesite has a few cracks in places, but is otherwise solid. See pic at https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tVSXCc ... sp=sharing

So...do I need to treat the magnesite at all before the underlay and flooring is laid?

Any advice really appreciated!

diydoctor6
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Laying Carpet onto Magnesite Floor That's Laid onto Concrete

by diydoctor6 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:10 am

If the Magnesite is not damp then there is little point doing anything to it. As it is flexible you can put soft covering like carpet over it and you should be fine.

If you are going to fit the carpet yourself, you can get some tip here: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/layingacarpet.htm

Jnix
Labourer
Labourer

by Jnix » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:17 pm

Thanks. After removing the lino etc we left it for a couple of days and it seemed completely dry. We've now had the carpet laid.

thenashs
Labourer
Labourer

by thenashs » Tue May 04, 2021 4:40 pm

Hi, I wonder if you can help. We have the same problem as you with Magnesite floors, what 'breathable' underlay did you use?

Ta

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm