Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rabbit
Apprentice
Apprentice

Laying pipe from washing machine to drain

Post by rabbit » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:55 am

Hello,

An external broom cupboard attached to the back kitchen seems ideal for a washing machine and drier. It would need a waste pipe leading to the nearby drain in the rear garden BUT I don't want to dig up concrete.

Is it possible to put a waste pipe through the wall of the broom cupboard (complete with S bend?) and lay it across a short piece of concrete (approx. 4-5 ft) into the outside drain.

The current drain cover is broken and needs replacing. I thought I could put a riser (is this is correct name?), feed the pipe through somehow and top off with a new drain cover.

To hide the short piece of pipe I thought of putting down gravel and then hiding it all with tubs of flowers.

Would this work?
Thank you.
R

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:00 pm

I can't quite visualise exactly how you mean to lay the pipe, but in principle it should be fine.

Just a few pointers. Put the washing machine trap in the broom cupboard. Make sure the pipe always has a small fall so water will not collect in the pipe. Finally, make sure the intended drain is a foul sewer and not simply a drain for rain water.

rabbit
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by rabbit » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:24 am

Thank you for your advice. Yes, the drain is for sewage. Will go ahead with plan. Thanks again. R

Update 28 Sep 09
Further to that advice. A friend suggested putting in a small heating unit (e.g. a tubular heater like a Dimplex or similar) to prevent the washing machine and drier from damaage (?) resulting from any freezing weather. Is this necessary?
Thank you. R

27col
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by 27col » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:35 pm

If it is an unheated external room, then it would be wise to install a small heater. This should be of a type that incorporates a frost stat. It is not sufficient just to lag the water pipes. If the room is unheated for long enough during a spell of below zero weather then the water pipe will eventually freeze. A small heater with a frost stat will maintain the room just above freezing, but will only operate if there is a real need for it. It would be a good idea also to make sure the room is as draught proof as possible.

rabbit
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by rabbit » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:37 am

Thank you for this advice. :D
R

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:31 am