Laying Wooden Floor Through An Arch
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
simonk
Apprentice
Apprentice

Laying Wooden Floor Through An Arch

by simonk » Wed May 09, 2007 1:25 pm

Can anybody give me any advice for laying a (floating) oak floor in a kitchen/diner with an archway?

The full length of the room is approx 8 metres, should I go all of the way through or use some kind of expansion threshold at the arch? If so, can anybody recommend any (the arch is about 4ft wide).

I think going straight through would be quite difficult on the other side of the arch (going back towards the wall)??

Thanks

Simon

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Sat May 12, 2007 10:34 am

Its your call Simon, we prefer to go straight though but many of our DIY customers put in a seperation strip. A 15mm gap should be left under the arch for expansion if you go with this way of doing it. The strip can be of chamferred hardwood simply glued ( Gripfil adhesive is the best, see our adhesives used at home project at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm ) to one side of the floor. this will still allow movement under the strip. It takes a bit of experience and some considerable carpentry skills to be able to complete a floor and keep all cuts and expansion joints neat but we think its worth getting some same size timber to practice on as a strip in the middle of a floor (in our opinion) looks untidy,.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:05 pm