leaking pvc frame on patio doors
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
angela21
Labourer
Labourer

leaking pvc frame on patio doors

by angela21 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:17 am

pvc frame leaking trough in beading. drain holes are clear but the black seal betwen frame and glass on out side at bottom is soaking - think water is getting in through this or maybe its coming in somewhere a else and bulding up in frame- any help much appreciated, thanks

scoggs
Apprentice
Apprentice

by scoggs » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:41 pm

Sounds to me like the water cannot drain away quick enough. Does this only leak when you get heavy rain, or does it also leak when it's a light drizzle?

One way of checking the drainage is to clip out the 4 beads holding the double glazed unit in place, then remove the glass. Once the glass has been removed check for drainage holes in the rebate(check they are not blocked). After you have checked this, get a jug of water and slowly pour the water into the rebate and see if the water come out of the weepholes on the outside of the Pvc Window/Door/Patio.

angela21
Labourer
Labourer

by angela21 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:08 pm

Thanks Scoggs for the advice, Yes it does only seam to leak in heavy rain or when blowing against windows. drain holes look ok. but was too frightened to try and remove beading incase i damage glass. beading seams very secure. whats the best/safest way to get bead off. many thanks

scoggs
Apprentice
Apprentice

by scoggs » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:08 pm

If the windows are over a few years old, remove the gasket outside with a blunt chisel or something similar. This will take the pressure off the beads. Once you have done that, use a wallpaper scraper or something similar to prize the bead from the frame. Always start in the middle of one of the longest beads. Then you can take the remaining beads out.

Once you have removed the beads, look for drainage holes at the bottom. If they are blocked try to unblock them. If they are only small drainage holes, it might be worth drilling a few extra holes to assist with the drainage. But be careful when drilling new drainage holes as you need to drill on an angle so the hole goes to the outside skin of the window profile.

angela21
Labourer
Labourer

by angela21 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:17 am

windows are only 3yrs old- cant see a gasket (not sure what im looking for) as far as i remember its a case of getting the int bead off - the fitter onec told me to use a scraper to pop it of but its not as easy as it sounds and i dont want to brak the glass, sorry to be pain. thanks foryou help- i appreciate it.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:39 pm

angela21,
Remove the internal rubber seal around the window, go outside and push the glass unit inwards, this will allow you to prise out the beading strips and then the glass unit.
If the windows are only 3 years old you should get the supplier back so they can sort the problem.
end

scoggs
Apprentice
Apprentice

by scoggs » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:12 pm

As stoneyboy said, if they are 3 years old then they should be under warranty and you should call the company that fitted them. Unless of course they have gone bust.

If the windows are 3 years old, then more than likely the beading is inside. Just use a scrapper in the middle of the longest beads and prize out.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:52 pm