All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
lindendavies
Labourer
Labourer

Leaking Tank - Serious Problems

by lindendavies » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:05 pm

Hi there all,

I moved into a house 8 months ago, and have had problems with the heating / water etc.

Anyway, this is the problem now, hope someone can advise.

I have a leaking hot water tank, not sure which kind it is, all i can say is that it is thin, about 43 inches high and has 2 compartments.

We have a boiler downstairs that feeds this.

The leak is coming from where the two tank parts join, and is green in colour. Anyway, this has leaked onto the temp stat at the bottom of the tank, and now this is not working.

My electrician came up and wired the stat so it was taken out of the equasion, so basically, if i switch the switch, the water will continuously heat up. The electrician said its best not to use this tho.

Anyway, I am stuck for a plumber giving me an honest answer, I dont know how much its going to cost, which tank or system I actually have!

Below are some other symptoms that might help an answer.

There is a large brown stain coming on te side of my house, coming from a white plastic tube connected to the top of the tank.

There is a silver cylinder connected to a copper pipe next to the tank, there is a large green rusty thing on the pipe below this.

The hot water is usually cloudy colour. but is always a good pressure.

All I can ask is HELP!! - Many thanks for replies in advance.

plumbers1
Tradesman
Tradesman

tank problem

by plumbers1 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:10 pm

new tank required. it is a combination tank list price for good quality tank is approx £600.00 plus fitting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:00 pm

Tanks are approximately £600, but combi boilers don't cost much more.

The fitting will cost abit more, but how old is the boiler you have at the moment ? is it in good condition ? are parts expensive ? Is it worth fitting a new tank ?

Thats just s few questions you should ask yourself before spending £600+ on a new tank.

Hope this helps.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:46 pm