Light Problem After Connecting new Spot Lights Lost Lights Upstairs?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Derek6647
Labourer
Labourer

Light Problem After Connecting new Spot Lights Lost Lights Upstairs?

by Derek6647 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:46 pm

Hi

I was wondering if you could help me.

I removed my kitchen light and decided to put in some small GU10 spot lights.

When I took the old light apart I noticed the Earth and neutral were in the same connector and the live was separate.

I ran cable to five spot lights to the left and 5 to the right. I connected the live , neutral and each separately using a connector block with the 3 live cables in one block 3 neutral cables in another and the 3 Earth cables together.

I have now noticed I have lost lighting to the upstairs rooms in my house.

Should I have joined both ends to make a loop or should I have re connected the cables putting the Neutral and Earth together.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Light Problem After Connecting new Spot Lights Lost Lights Upstairs?

by ericmark » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:18 pm

In the main UK system has two lines (permanent and switched) a neutral and an earth going to each ceiling rose.

When removing the rose normally a junction box replaces the rose and this allows just a switched line, neutral and earth to be fed to the lights.

Also often the switched line is a neutral coloured wire with a sleeve to show it's line, but this sleeve can fall off, and it is a common problem with DIY where the person gets the switched line and neutrals mixed up.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:52 am