light pull switch diagram?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
lindsaymcat
Labourer
Labourer

light pull switch diagram?

by lindsaymcat » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:01 pm

can someone give me a basic outline of how the on-off bit of a pull-switch light cord works? bought a new ceiling light switch - a Volex 6A brass switch, got it wired up OK, but to get at the terminals, I had to unscrew the central fitting which housed the cord and springs, which of course fell out all over the floor. there is a sort of bowl, then a plastic shape with a projecting sort of crown - a set of points, then the light cord goes through a sort of several sided plastic piece which slots between the points of the 'crown' 2 springs and an sheet of copper or brass which I assume is the conductor. I put it together again as best I could, springs inside each other, strung on the cord, going into the bottom of the cup, then the two interlocked plastic bits on top, then the metal plate placed over the points of the interlocked plastic bits. obviously doing something right, as the light comes on, trouble is it doesn't switch off! what is the principle behind the way the switch operates so I can try and see what I'm doing wrong? diagrams and pictures really Helpful? I need to know what makes it go on and off if that makes any sense?

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:48 pm

Hi lindsaymcat,
As some configuration are different I suggest you contact mancufacturer and see if they can supply you with the information you desire. But I think you've done something that was not needed to terminate cables.
Sorry can't be anymore help, might be as easy buying another one.
KB

333rocky333
Ganger
Ganger

by 333rocky333 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:31 pm

Screw it back together and take back to the shop, tell them the truth what you did and ask whether they can just put it down as faulty.
I am sure they would replace it.

Or just lie and say the electrician fitted it and said it was faulty, get the new one then run.

There are two copper bits with sort of points /contacts on ,with each pull something should move or go up and the contacts open, pull again and something will move or go down again and the contacts close, the springs assist it to do so somehow, it is quite tricky and are you sure you found all the bits,

You can usually tell by the mould where each bit goes ,but the tricky bit is holding it all in to put the cover on

When correct you should be able to view the screw heads via the side of the housing , these are what you tighten with the screwdriver and the terminals for the wires are on the top.

Try pulling it about ten times before you refit it ,you should hear it click every time you pull it.

Dont forget to isolate the power

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:31 am