Light with Integrated PIR Replacing Ordinary Exterior Light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ecm200
Labourer
Labourer

Light with Integrated PIR Replacing Ordinary Exterior Light

by ecm200 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:18 pm

I have purchased and installed an outside light with integrated PIR to replace a previous outside light that had no PIR. On removal of the old light, I found there were 3 wires, brown (assumed to be live), blue (neutral) and ground (green and yellow). The light is operated by a single switch.

The new PIR integrated light has a chocolate box termination, with switched live, live, neutral and ground terminals. I have connected the brown live wire to the live terminal, the blue neutral to the neutral terminal and the ground to the ground terminal. The issue I now have is that the light switches on and off by operating the switch, however it appears that the PIR does not work as the light remains on, regardless of the PIR settings.

Do I simply connected the brown live wire to the switched live terminal of the light, and that should sort the problem?

Or is there a more complicated modification that is required?

tileclipproman
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Light with Integrated PIR Replacing Ordinary Exterior Light

by tileclipproman » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:11 pm

It seems the pir could be at fault ,check the instructions again to see if the controls are set correctly,I presume there is no obstrution on the lense of the pir
some sort of protective covering.have you tried leaving it on,both day and night
to test it.

ecm200
Labourer
Labourer

by ecm200 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:34 pm

Thanks for the advice.

On installing it last night, I left the light on from daylight to night, and it stayed on all evening. I am not totally certain of the settings on the PIR at the time, but it definitely didn't turn off automatically. This evening the same deal, however, I had a play with the settings on the PIR and turned down the daylight sensitivity to its lowest setting, but that did't seem to have an effect so I turned off the light. However, my wife needed to go to the garage so I turned the light back on for her, and I noticed that the light had turned itself off after a short period. I've since confirmed that it is activating to motion and turning off as it should.

I don't know what caused it to work, I am wondering if your suggestion of turning it off and on in the dark has reset it somehow. Perhaps in combination with changing the settings.

Acid test will be tomorrow morning to see how it behaves in the daylight, as it shouldn't come on at all.

ecm200
Labourer
Labourer

by ecm200 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:37 pm

tileclipproman wrote:It seems the pir could be at fault ,check the instructions again to see if the controls are set correctly,I presume there is no obstrution on the lense of the pir
some sort of protective covering.have you tried leaving it on,both day and night
to test it.

Thanks turning it off when dark seemed to have solved it. I am pretty sure I did that last night, but may be not.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:21 am

Some PIR's are set by turning on and off to different modes.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:34 am