Lighting Help
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
plummy
Labourer
Labourer

Lighting Help

by plummy » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:04 pm

hi if anyone can help me with this, it owuld be a great help.

i have recently moved into my own house... as usual the wiring wiring is all a mess. i have rewired the downstairs sockets on its own fuse, and the upstairs on its own.
i want to be able to do the same on the lights. have independant fuses for upstairs and down.

i am starting with downstairs. i have all the ceilings off so i can see all the wiring where to they go and where they come from. what to know is how to wire up spot lights for in my kitchen. the sort that lay flush in the ceiling.

do i run the Live Neutral an earth to 1 then to each coming off that in a series effect, then form the last one to my next light in my next room. or is there an other way of doin it?

thanks...

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:38 am

Not doubting your capabilities but I really, really think you need the services of a professional electrician (unless you are one). With such an amount of work as you seem to be undertaking the system will need fully testing and I suspect you may not have the correct test equipment - apologies if you do.

Cheers

PS Don't forget Part P requirements for "special locations".

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:53 am

See our electrical projects for help with this but don't forget in effect you may be providing new circuits in your house as opposed to hjust working on existing ones. This may bring in Part P to its full effect for which you may need Building Regulation approval for all the work you ahve done. Please see our project on Part P/

plummy
Labourer
Labourer

by plummy » Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:36 pm

thanks for the concern, my friend is a fully qualified eclectrican who works for ICI. everything that has been done in my house has been connected by him. i do all the work, chasing the walls out burrying cables, wiring the sockets etc, then he comes and connects it all to my fusebox, then tests everything. he has done alot of work for me recently an i dont want to seem like im nagging him so i come on here for an alternative source of wisdom. as i said above, thanks for you concern!

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:49 pm

Hi Plummy,
I don't want to sound like a spoil sport but Part p is very important when connecting new circiuts especailly in the Kitchen. Sounds like your mates been a fantastic help and he will be well aware of the hazards if the wiring not been done correctly and your a great sparky's mate too. Do you mean downlights? if so they are usually double insulated and don't have an earth (which I hate). But other than that if I was doing what you are doing in my front room and the circiut was already there it sound okay Loop in method.
I will get told off by someone now!
Best of Luck and don't grass me!
I'd like to put ANON.
KB

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:06 pm