Lighting Junction Box
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

weemantam
Labourer
Labourer

Lighting Junction Box

by weemantam » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:38 am

I am planning on redoing my lighting beneath the floor in my upstairs landing (which serves the downstairs of my house due to a solid ground floor). My problem is that I cant track down a suitable junction box. The reason for this, as I have found due to significant amount of searching, is that the method of wiring appears to be slightly non standard. Rather than the wiring being in a sort of ring main arrangement, it all travels to and from a single point.

Several years ago when I first "tidied" this arrangement up it consisted of all the lives to the switches (or is it lights I can remember which is fed first!) were twist bunched with a big ceramic screw cap. This was the same with all the neutrals. In between were the switches and lights obviously but in each case the switch wire came back to the central point was twisted with the lights live (as a switched live) and run back to the light. So ALL the wires to ALL the switches and ALL the lights were from a single central point.

Personally I think this is a pretty good arrangement and is probably less confusing than the ring main approach when your trying to modify something etc.

Once I had tidied it up it consisted of 3 groups of connector blocks. One was a big line of lives (with little loops across each terminal so that it acted like a sort of busbar) and ditto with the neutrals. In the middle I now have a "switched" connector block where all the wires come together in the switching arrangement with loops wherever necessary to do multiple lights/2-ways etc.

I am about to replace my landing floor and am looking to take this increasingly messy arrangement into the 21st century complete with bonefide access hatch. Essentially I want to have a solid busbar live and neutral with a configurable switched connector pretty much as the arrangment I've already created but less "sticky back plasticy" using proper boards for the job.

Is there such a thing or will I have to buy a small consumer unit and modifying it with a big hammer to suit.

Thanks for any help.

It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:02 am