lighting

Postby charlie58 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:01 pm

Can someone advise me please. I want to install a new light in a garage that i am partitioning. I cannot easily access the existing wiring. There is an unused socket off aring main in the area i would ideally like the light to be. Can i use this ring main wiring in conjunction with a fused switch and ceiling rose to install a new light? Thanks for any advice. Charlie
charlie58
Progress to next rank:
36.8%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby ericmark » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:04 am

Yes it is quite common to use a switched fused spur with fuse no bigger than 5 amp to feed a lamp rather than install new consumer units in a garage. Only thing to be aware of is what happens if the power trips. If for example you had an accident with a power tool would it then leave you in darkness and so in extra danger? You may need an emergency light to make it safe.
ericmark

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!