lights in cattle shed
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
blueginger
Labourer
Labourer

lights in cattle shed

by blueginger » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:07 am

been asked to put 6 x 400w high bay lights in a cattle shed, anyone know if the cable size and mcb ratings are the same as normal lighting circiuts

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:15 pm

Hi I have fitted out several set ups similar to yours & have found that putting more than 3 per circuit causes problems.
These fittings are very inductive so have very high inrush currents at switch on, this can cause switches to burn out and even C curve MCB's to trip.
Now I wire them in pairs on 3 circuits via a 3 pole contactor, then you can use a single weatherproof switch to control all 6 fittings.
This keeps wiring runs short as don't have to loop down to switches, I fit contactor next to dist bd take Neutrals straight to each pair of lights, lives/lines via contacts and control circuit from board to switch and back to contactor coil, normally get away with C10 mcb's, wire in 2.5mm2 if long runs,
regards SPARX

ericmark

by ericmark » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:08 pm

I had similar problems to what Sparx relates I used three phase lighting track which allows a fuse in each lamp supply and I used a contractor with C16 MCB feeding track. Think they were 6 amp fuses in each lamp. They are heavy units and plugged in hanging on jack chain seemed easy way to fit allowing everything to be pre-assembled. I wired all lighting track clips did not trust the spring clips. Cables to track was SWA
All best Eric
PS are you sure High bay lights for cow shed? I would but uncertain on using even low bay lights in most cow sheds I have seen!
A quick check at 60 degrees spread to get 0.66 watts per square foot they will need to be 24 foot from work surface and at 45 degrees 34 foot from work surface. Seems a little on high side for cow shed?

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:08 pm