Lights that glow when the light switch is off
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Dan Fuller
Labourer
Labourer

Lights that glow when the light switch is off

Post by Dan Fuller » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:57 am

Hi, I live in Thailand, I think the electric system is the same as in the UK. I have lights that glow at night when the switch is off. I have put in a new swiich , but it still glows at night. Do you know what this could be? thanks. from Dan

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:30 pm

When using discharge lighting it can pick up power without being connected this can be seen by holding a florescent tube up under power lines. Somewhere cables are running close together and the transformer effect is powering the lamp. Although Thailand may have similar system, earthing will be different due to amount of electrical storms, so not really something we can help with.

andy2510
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by andy2510 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:00 pm

Maybe this is what happened to me.

When I moved in I posted on this forum about my landing light 'pulsing' when switched off in one way (being on a 2-switch system, when switched off in the other direction it was fine). I also changed the light switches. What I didn't mention at the time is that the bulb fitted was a '60W' energy saving bulb (which is what may be pulsing rather than glowing).

Recently I've switched the '60W' energy saving bulb into the 3rd bedroom as the '100W' energy saving bulb is too bright. This bulb doesn't pulse in the landing light rose when the switch is in ever off direction, but as it takes more than a second to start up anyway it'll not be noticeable!

Would a live wire too close to a switching wire have caused my problem?

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:26 am