living room lights
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tinman24
Labourer
Labourer

living room lights

by tinman24 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:50 pm

Hi,

Before i call in an electrician i thought i would see if someone can help. I have 2 ceiling lights in the living room controlled by 2 switches. Each switch controls both lights.

Recently one of the lights stopped working, i think due to some water leaking from the bathroom upstairs. The leak is now fixed but the light still does not work. I've tried taking the light fitting out and putting a new one in but it still does not work.

Does anybody have any idea what could be wrong?

DIY_Bodger
Apprentice
Apprentice

Shorting

by DIY_Bodger » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:52 am

The water may have caused a shrt circuit that has heated up the wires feeding the light and caused them to short out or melt or at least to become damaged. You should try to test the feed to the light fitting. you might have to put a new length of lighting cable in.

TOPSPARK
Ganger
Ganger

by TOPSPARK » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:04 pm

There could well be a short in the cable but to test this you would need an insulation resistance tester which to buy is about £250.00. Then you would need to know how to use it and know what the readings mean so in long run better to call in an electrician
regards
Topspark

tinman24
Labourer
Labourer

by tinman24 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:39 am

Thank you very much for the replies.

Looks like i'm going through the yellow pages looking for an electrician. Anybody know any good ones in Nottingham?

ericmark

by ericmark » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:04 pm

Any ideas are just stabs in the dark and I agree with TopSpark on this to be safe you need to call a spark.
Similar thing happened in my house while I was away but my lights are on earth leakage so they failed safe.
Found on return bulb full of water, changed bulb all OK. But I would think had it not been all on RCD then it may have caused more damage plus lights going out alerted my daughter to turn off bath tap.
Eric

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:35 pm