Load Bearing Wall
Information, help and advice on many architecture, self build and design problems and issues

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jez937
Labourer
Labourer

Load Bearing Wall

Post by jez937 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:16 am

Hi All, I hope someone can help. We are hoping to make some adjustments to our loft to increase the living space in our bungalow. We have removed a window from what was an external wall and above this is a 7" x4" length of wood which sits on the brick. Will this suffice as a lintel or do I need to reinforce this with a catnic lintel?

Many thanks.

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

Post by Perry525 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:04 pm

I am not sure I understand the question. But here goes.......
First of all is the wall load bearing - if it is take extra care.
If it is not load bearing then all a lintel does is support the weight of the wall inside a triangle of 45 degrees from the edges of the opening.
Brick comes in around 45 kilos/one hundred weight a cubic foot.
For an opening the size of a typical door, no problem.
As an opening gets wider you need to take into acount the damage the masonary will do if it falls and provide support while working. You will also need a suitable steel lintel - keep in mind you will have to lift the lintel into place and these things can be heavy.

benyboy
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Load Bearing Wall

Post by benyboy » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:54 am

[quote="jez937"]Hi All, I hope someone can help. We are hoping to make some adjustments to our loft to increase the living space in our bungalow. We have removed a window from what was an external wall and above this is a 7" x4" length of wood which sits on the brick. Will this suffice as a lintel or do I need to reinforce this with a catnic lintel?

Many thanks.[/quote]

I would always get an engineer in to confirm any structural calculations - especially if you have a loft conversion above any structures that you are altering

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Local help at hand!

Post by TheDoctor4 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:14 pm

If you would like to find a reliable, insured and vetted tradesman in your area why not click through to the Find a Tradesman area of DIY Doctor: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/ , complete the form and receive up to 5 FREE quotes

DevilDamo
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by DevilDamo » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:41 pm

Why do you need to do anything with the existing lintel/support?

Eva2100
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Eva2100 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:21 am

wish you have solved your prolem..

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:36 am