Location of pressure safety valve outlet.
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
m7ohn
Tradesman
Tradesman

Location of pressure safety valve outlet.

by m7ohn » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:58 pm

I'm having a new boiler fitted soon, a Worcester Condensation boiler - 24i Junior.
Just reading through the literature and the recommended location of the safety valve outlet is to an outside wall via 15mm copper pipe.
In my house that would mean routing the pipe around the bathroom to get to an outside wall - about 5 metre run.
The flue will be straight up through the roof - it's a single storey extension.
Just 2 metres away is my bath waste pipe - 4" plastic pipe - buried in the slab.
Can i terminate the outlet in there? It's away from the bath plug hole so no risk of steam blow back on your feet while having a shower.
I feel it would be safer there than venting off outside where someone could walk by.

Cheers

Marcus

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:44 pm

The pipe termination should be visible and located so that any discharge will not endanger anyone inside or outside the building. The termination point should be accessible and visible to view on a frequent basis.

Pressure relief discharge pipes should be the termination point needs to face downwards and point towards the wall to prevent any scalding water from harming persons or property below the termination.

frogger
Tradesman
Tradesman

by frogger » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:20 pm

The releif pipe can be terminated in a drain with the aid of a tungdish to make it visible, so if the boiler backs onto the bathroom then is their not a waste pipe outlet you can connect into and extend, remember to put a trap on this. You will need to also run a condense to drain outlet.

m7ohn
Tradesman
Tradesman

by m7ohn » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:31 pm

Thank you.

I guess having the discharge pipe outlet so far away from the boiler would mean the steam would be more like condensaste and be less of a hazard. Having such a run to travel it would cool down alot too.

Why does it have to be visible? Can i not use a flow sensor wired to an audible and visible alarm panel?

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:21 am