Loft problem
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

Liquidator
Labourer
Labourer

Loft problem

by Liquidator » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:45 pm

Have discovered that the loft in my 1930's semi has minimal insulation between the rafters. Have also discovered that when the previous owner had the roof re-tiled the rubble was kindly left as a layer on top of what insulation is there.

Am aware of grants and have had a good quote from British Gas to install insulation to the required 270mm. Neither they or anyone else I can find is willing to remove the rubble though.

I started the process at the weekend and after 6 hours had barely made a dent in the surface area. I am now looking at what options I have to avoid hours of blood, sweat and swearing

I know that in theory this should be done to reduce the weight load on the joists/ceilings but it doesnt seem to be causing any problems and would be happy to leave it as it is

As an alternative though am aware that the minimum insulation could be attached directly to the rafters under the tiles to avoid the need for floor insulation altogether. Have seen some Kingspan products

At this stage I have no plans for a loft conversion or velux window and was thinking that if went the rafter route could then simply board over the rubble and use as a storage area with not too much hassle

As a novice DIYer just wondered

- what is peoples experience of the rafter insulation and will I get the necessary green certificates when come to sell
- what would be the likely cost (mid size 4 bed semi)
- any pros and cons
- are grants available ?

Any comments or help very much appreciated

Regards

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:52 pm