Log Cabin Foundations on a Slope
Drainage pipes, concrete, footings and foundations. Post your questions and find answers here

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
smg496
Labourer
Labourer

Log Cabin Foundations on a Slope

by smg496 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:51 pm

I'm investigating my foundation requirements for a 12m x 6m Log Cabin which I plan to self-build on a 6 degree slope in my rear garden which will be more than 5m from the house so no planning permission is required. If I don't level the ground then the bottom end will be about 1.25m above the ground and take the cabin height over 4m which will require planning permission. I'm hoping to use plinth foundations for this project to keep costs down but have no experience of this. Will digging in at one end and raising the ground at the other be an acceptable course of action for plinth foundations. There will also be two trees (one about 8m and the other about 6m) within 2-3m of the cabin, is this acceptable. I'm kitting the cabin out so it could be used all year round by myself but will I need to involve a building inspector if it's just me using the cabin which will be powered/watered off the main house.
An advice will be greatly appreciated.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:21 am

For foundations you need on the spot advice methinks.

Not only under 4m high (ridged roof only - all other types it's 3m) to fall under scope of "permitted development" but also 1m from nearest boundaries, more than 20m from the highway, more than 5m from the "original structure" and no larger than 50% of the garden. 72m2 is rather big. Also your property can't be in an AONB or a conservation area.

Be aware also that a Council may make an order withdrawing permitted development rights without telling you. Always best to talk your plans through with Building Control.

Cheers

Jeaves
Labourer
Labourer

Ref Log Cabin foundations

by Jeaves » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:13 pm

If you I would check out Swift Plinth dry foundations. They are easy to use, are interlocking, high strength, reinforced concrete foundations that are easy to adjust and get level, and stack to any extra depth to compensate for undulating ground and slopes.

The main advantage is that they are re-usable and easily moved therefore can be classed as "temporary" so helping with any restrictions you might otherwise have with planning or building control, if the other points raised in the previous post are not an issue.

I would check out www.swiftfoundations.co.uk and ask for further advice
Hope your plan works out.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:27 pm