Louvre Door on a slant
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bezel
Apprentice
Apprentice

Louvre Door on a slant

by bezel » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:57 pm

Ive been asked by my friends mum if i can fit some louvre doors onto a cupboard underneath her stairs the trouble is the frame is on a slant due to the stairs, would it be best to try and doctor a set of louvre doors to fit or
forget about louvre doors and just try and get some standard ones which i could get to fit in , thanks for any suggestions

bezel
Apprentice
Apprentice

by bezel » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:18 pm

can nobody help ? do i need to explain better? thanks

Oddbod
Ganger
Ganger

by Oddbod » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:29 pm

Hi. If you know what you are doing, you can re-make louvre doors, but it isn’t the easiest DIY thing in the world. Unfortunately if you have the knowledge to re-make one, the chances are that in real life you’d probably make one up from scratch. Certainly if you had a machine shop you would.

If you want to have a crack at it, you’ll need to remove the top rail, and then make a new, and longer one at the correct angle. Dowel it into the side stiles. You could cut down the louvres and pin, or glue, the tops of them into the new rail. Easy to say, but in practice you have to size the new rail, get the angles spot on, groove the rail to accommodate the louvres etc etc.

You’ll have similar problems with any frame and panel construction.

I think you have three practical choices. Either take a “solidâ€

bezel
Apprentice
Apprentice

by bezel » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:20 pm

thanks oddbod thats a great post. I think im going to go with the solid door option, that sounds like the safest bet. I'll let you know how i get on

bezel
Apprentice
Apprentice

by bezel » Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:38 pm

I used chip board in the end to make the doors was very easy to do and only took me half an hour, i forgot to mention that in the original post that the doors had been damaged and that is why she wanted them changed.

Oddbod
Ganger
Ganger

by Oddbod » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:46 pm

Well done mate, hope she's pleased with the result!

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:56 am