Low Mounted Incoming Electric Supply in 1970's Bungalow
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
reloaded25
Labourer
Labourer

Low Mounted Incoming Electric Supply in 1970's Bungalow

by reloaded25 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:11 pm

Hi there, we are in the process of buying a 1970's era bungalow, it has an underground electricity supply cable that emerges and terminates into the main 100amp fuse roughly 30cm up from the floor in the hallway. Is that a safe and compliant place for it to be? I've never seen one that low down before. I know not to touch it myself. With all the latest flooding issues is the supplier supposed to move them above a certain point?

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Low Mounted Incoming Electric Supply in 1970's Bungalow

by ericmark » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:25 pm

I would not expect there to be a problem with most houses for the supply to be terminated in a low place. Even outside the house the heights given are 0.5 to 1.5 meters for the socket supplying caravans and that is to allow the used easy assess.

Basic point is a dwelling should not be built where it is likely to flood. I know there have been errors made, near where I live the builders were give the hight of the ground floor of a set of houses which would ensure should culverts block water would flow over the road before it flooded the houses. However the builder set the ground floor 0.5 meters too low. As to if this was down to builder for doing it or council for allowing it is for debate clearly the building inspector should have highlighted this error. But the incoming mains is still at a normal hight.

Some specials in York are designed to flood now this is very different with IP68 units only being used below the expected high water level but unless the house is designed to be flooded then there would be no limit to where it could be placed.

reloaded25
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Low Mounted Incoming Electric Supply in 1970's Bungalow

by reloaded25 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:43 pm

Thank you for the reply.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:20 am