LPG to Electric Boiler - Maybe Woodburning Stove
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
stunnie
Labourer
Labourer

LPG to Electric Boiler - Maybe Woodburning Stove

by stunnie » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:55 pm

Hi,

We've just bought a small 2 bed bungalow in perthshire that currently has an LPG gas boiler supplying hot water and a gas cooker + electric storage heaters providing the central heating. I believe the electric storage heaters run off cheap rate electricity.

We're not overly happy about the big LPG container in the front garden and am considering getting rid of the LPG gas and going with an electric boiler supplying around 4 new radiators (house is not big). We need to move the existing boiler anyway.

However, I'm no expert so wonder if anyone can help on the following:

1) For new electric boilers - are they likely to be really much more expensive than LPG? Mains gas is not an option. One point is that the house will not be occupied all year round.

2) If we went with an electric boiler - is it possible to have a woodburning stove that would use the electric boiler as a back up? In winter we would burn the wood but in summer just use the boiler for hot water?

3) Does anyone know of any companies in the Perthshire area that could help with such questions/installations?

Many thanks,

s

ericmark

by ericmark » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:09 pm

Have a look at Glenhill Building Products there are a host of new storage devices and distribution networks now available where assorts can be combined. But it is a question of cost my son was looking at heat pump at over £4000 until I pointed out how long it would take to pay for it's self especially if you include interest lost if money was invested instead.
Eric

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1