LS-X to Seal Slight Weep in Joint Near Boiler
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Zacccc
Ganger
Ganger

LS-X to Seal Slight Weep in Joint Near Boiler

by Zacccc » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:51 pm

While putting a tee piece into the DHW pipe just near the boiler, I've obviously disturbed one of the soldered joints in the DHW pipe just as it exits the boiler and there is a very small leak. I've never done any solder work and anyway I wouldn't attempt it because the pipe is hard up against the gas pipe into the boiler so I'm just wondering if applying LS-X to the joint might sort it?

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

Re: LS-X to Seal Slight Weep in Joint Near Boiler

by proptech » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:24 pm

Hi Zacccc

For a soldered joint to fail it was either put under a lot of force, or it wasn't much good in the first place. Sorry, but forget the bodge-ups, the joint must be correctly remade. As you are not used to this type of work, it must be time to call in some professional help.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:25 pm

LS-X won't seal anyway, it is a silicone based product and won't take any water pressure.

You could try leaving the leak as many small weeps often seal themselves quite quickly but I should add as Proptech suggests, it ought to be repaired properly.

Zacccc
Ganger
Ganger

by Zacccc » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:18 am

proptech wrote:Hi Zacccc

For a soldered joint to fail it was either put under a lot of force, or it wasn't much good in the first place. Sorry, but forget the bodge-ups, the joint must be correctly remade. As you are not used to this type of work, it must be time to call in some professional help.

Thanks mate. I posted this problem on another forum and they said the same as you so I've actually already booked a plumber to come on Monday. Having said that, someone on that forum has just suggested I try something called Devcon, which is some kind of epoxy putty. However, I've looked at the Devcon website and I couldn't see any product there which seemed to be applicable to fixing copper pipe leaks. Do you know anything about it?

Zacccc
Ganger
Ganger

by Zacccc » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:19 am

plumbbob wrote:LS-X won't seal anyway, it is a silicone based product and won't take any water pressure.

You could try leaving the leak as many small weeps often seal themselves quite quickly but I should add as Proptech suggests, it ought to be repaired properly.

Thanks for that. I think it's going to have to be fixed by the plumber on Monday.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:27 am