Mains Downlighters - no Earth

Postby misterg » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:11 pm

Hi

I am trying to fit some recessed mains downlighters in a built in wardrobe. Was going to get the electrician to do it, but looks like it will be weeks before he can come round.

These lights do not have any earth terminals. What do I do with the Earth wire? Or should I use flex?

Cheers

MisterG
misterg
Progress to next rank:
96.2%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby sparx » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:41 am

Hi safest way is to sleeve earths completely & double back under cable clamp at fitting, then it's available if later lights are changed for type requiring E
regards SPARX
sparx

Postby misterg » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:00 pm

Thanks Sparx.

One other question, should I use a separate junction box for each light, or can I join all to the same one?

There are three downlights.

Cheers

G
misterg
Progress to next rank:
96.2%

Postby sparx » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:57 pm

Hi mr G
I would use one Jb and 1 cable to each fitting if you can, there's never enough room to loop thro' I do the same for wall lights for same reason. I would suggest a 30A Jb as used for ring spurs as you only need 3 terms & they are BIG ones! regards SPARX
sparx

Postby misterg » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:48 pm

Thanks again Sparx.

Cheers

G
misterg
Progress to next rank:
96.2%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!