MAINS HALOGEN DOWNLIGHTS
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
discostu
Labourer
Labourer

MAINS HALOGEN DOWNLIGHTS

by discostu » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:01 pm

I bought 2 3 packs of mains haolgen downlights from Wickes. I fitted 4 in one room. I connected them by wiring the first light then taken a feed off that to the next light & so on until got to the fourth then stoped. I turned them on & all seemed good. After 10mins the fuse for the upstairs tripped(I had fitted the lights in a upstairs bedroom). I then flicked it up again & it tripped right away. :cry:
Can it be that it cant cope with the 4 lights? The lamps are 1x50w GU10 - each 230v-50hz

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: MAINS HALOGEN DOWNLIGHTS

by BLAKEY1963 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:34 am

[quote="discostu"]I bought 2 3 packs of mains haolgen downlights from Wickes. I fitted 4 in one room. I connected them by wiring the first light then taken a feed off that to the next light & so on until got to the fourth then stoped. I turned them on & all seemed good. After 10mins the fuse for the upstairs tripped(I had fitted the lights in a upstairs bedroom). I then flicked it up again & it tripped right away. :cry:
Can it be that it cant cope with the 4 lights? The lamps are 1x50w GU10 - each 230v-50hz[/quote]

DISCOSTU
ISOLATE SUPPLY AND DISSCONNECT THE FIRST SPOT LIGHT FROM THE FEED. WITH EXISTING CONNECTIONS AS THEY WERE BEFORE
U STARTED , RE ENERGISE SUPPLY AND TRY ALL LIGHTS ON THAT CIRCUIT. IF OK WITH NO MCB TRIPPING , GO AND EXAMINE AND DOUBLE CHECK THAT ALL YOUR CONNECTIONS TO THE FOUR SPOTS R
CORRECT , CONNECTED SECURELY AND NO SHORT CIRCUITS BETWEEN
CONDUCTORS.EARTH CORES SHOULD BE SLEEVED IN GREEN/YELLOW
SLEEVING.
ALSO WHEN HANDLEING LAMPS BE CAREFUL NOT TO TOUCH WITH FINGERS , WHILE INSERTING. OIL FROM HANDS CAN CAUSE HOTSPOTS ON LAMPS AND DECREASE LAMP LIFE.
WITH CHECKS COMPLETE , IT IS POSSIBLE THAT NEW LOAD IS EXCEEDING RATING OF PROTECTIVE DEVICE ( MCB ).
A 6 AMP MCB WOULD NORMALY ACCOMDATE ( WORKING ON 230 V ) 13 X 100 WATT LIGHTING POINTS , OR A TOTAL OF 1380 WATTS.( 13 POINTS + 80 WATTS TO SPARE) ADD UP TOTAL WATTAGE ON CIRCUIT . IF NOT EXCEEDED THEN U MIGHT NEED OUTSIDE HELP.
BLAKEY1963

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:15 am