Mains to Plug In?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gemmyjam
Labourer
Labourer

Mains to Plug In?

by gemmyjam » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:49 am

I currently have a bathroom light that is wired into the mains & want to move it to a bedroom & be able to plug in it rather than using the mains supply.

Is it possible to convert the light into doing this? :? [size=18][/size]

ericmark

by ericmark » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:52 pm

It is very likely you could convert it but the removal from the bathroom may be a problem. You can't leave cables in a wall without something to indicate where they are. And because it is a bathroom you are removing it from it may come under Part P. Without seeing the job there is a lot of guess work but may be a lot easier to leave it where it is and get another light for your bedroom.

gemmyjam
Labourer
Labourer

by gemmyjam » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:40 pm

technically the light hasn't been installed in the bathroom i have bought a light intended for bathroom use but want to install it in a bedroom but not connect it to the mains.

ericmark

by ericmark » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:30 pm

I can see no problem. Unless it leaves something open or unsecured. Basic rules you must not be able to get at connections without the use of a key or tool and the flex must be secure. No more than 1mm holes in top or 12.5mm holes in sides and bottom. All common sense really. Have I missed something?

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:55 am