Marble Fireplace Removal
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ecward75
Labourer
Labourer

Marble Fireplace Removal

Post by ecward75 » Tue May 25, 2010 5:15 pm

Hello

Be grateful for some assistance. As a favour from a friend, when I was renovating my house cheaply to rent out, he kindly got me some slabs of marble that were placed together to make a fire place. He is a stonemason and makes headstones... which is easy to believe because I now have a 4ft x 3ft tomb in my living room. I now need to remove it, and put in something a little more tasteful!

At the time he said that he was using extremely strong glue, which absolutely nothing can beat. Which at the time was reassurance as the slabs were very very heaving and I was concerned the masteriece would collapse on some poor unfortunate tenant.

So I would really like some help to the following:-

1 - How do I get rid of the marble tomb... and the hearth... Grinder? Big fat hammer? It's hollow behind....

2 - I recall, the purpose of having a box shaped marble tomb was to cover some bricks that were "sticking out" or protuding from the normal shape of the chimney stack in the room. How do I cut these back? Can I do it with a grinder, or do I need to get a professional in who can knock them out whole, and then fill in any gaps properly (i.e. with cut up bricks).

Any help would be most appreciated... Apologies for the simple language, I'm not a pro! :oops:

Thanks

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

Post by TheDoctor4 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:42 pm

Let DIY Doctor help you to find quotes from vetted and trusted tradesman local to your area. Visit our Find a Tradesman page: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:25 am