Matt Emulsion Painted over Silk and all Walls Cracked - How to Fix it?
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1
Clueless!
Labourer
Labourer

Matt Emulsion Painted over Silk and all Walls Cracked - How to Fix it?

Post by Clueless! » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:21 am

Painter & decorator put a coat of white Matt emulsion on top of vinyl silk I had on walls (3yrs & good clean condition). I had told him was vinyl silk on walls etc & and wanted the same finish.. he advised he always uses Matt emulsion & would use vinyl Matt as gives same result as vinyl silk? Anyway, after 1 coat of white Matt emulsion he then put on 2 coats of vinyl Matt in my chosen colour (both coats put on within space of 3hrs).. the following morning EVERY wall & even the ceiling & coving was cracked like a dry riverbed/spidervein being worse in corners & tops/bottoms where brushed on as well as rollered. There was a large bubble in one corner that wasn't there before (about 6inches long) that cracked into a hole when dry. He put on another coat of vinyl Matt on walls in the hope it would cover cracks & bubble/blister.. it didn't. After advice he put on a coat of sandtex White masonry paint left overnight to dry & returned to put on another 2 coats of vinyl Matt in chosen colour (again both coats put on in space of 3hrs). I asked for ceiling to be redone which I think has only been done in white sandtex. Again emulsion is all cracked. Painter wanted to put some other type of paint on but I refused & I asked for it to be sanded which he did by hand on the really bad bits only (I thought the whole wall would need to be done). He doesn't seem to think the ceiling or coving is that bad so isn't touching it (I can see the cracks & pointed them out). I have been advised by him to buy an alkali primer which he will apply one coat of then reapply coloured vinyl Matt emulsion... Can anybody please tell me if this will work?? This has been ongoing now for 4wks & I'm really getting anxious the full room is destroyed & can't be fixed. Thanks in advance for any suggestions

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:00 am