Maximising Wifi in Garden Summerhouse
Information, help and advice on many architecture, self build and design problems and issues

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Stan Bowles
Labourer
Labourer

Maximising Wifi in Garden Summerhouse

by Stan Bowles » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:25 am

Hi all I'm a new poster

I have recently had a summerhouse built in my back garden and have filled it with the usual "man cave" stuff like a bar, tv etc but am having a problem with getting good internet connection in there.
We have a internet booster in there which is ok but I suppose at £20 you get what you pay for
Anyone with any ideas on how I can maximise the connection there?
Cheers in advance

Jeff17
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Maximising Wifi in Garden Summerhouse

by Jeff17 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:57 pm

Hi,

You have a few options :
1) Re-locate your broadband router to somewhere nearer the back of the house. I have mine in the loft and it works well.
2) Use a home-plug, providing you have power to your summerhouse. The socket would have to be on the same circuit as the one that your broadband router is plugged into for it to work. They are cheap, offer a quick solution and work fairly well.
3) Buy a router with directional external antenna. You may still need to reposition it for it to work and there are no guarantees that it will be better than what you have but could be worth a try.
4) Make sure your laptop etc is not using 802.11a for your wifi. 802.11g will work better over distance. Check your router settings, you may find both are enabled by default. Disable 802.11a and test.
5) Check that you router is set for the optimal channel. Interference from other neighbours etc will reduce range. Use a Wifi Analyser on your smartphone to check what's around you. Many routers are set to auto which may not be the best choice.

Hope this helps.

Stan Bowles
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Maximising Wifi in Garden Summerhouse

by Stan Bowles » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:14 am

Cheers for the reply Jeff

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:49 pm