MCB permenantly tripped after changing ceiling rose
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
cfox01
Labourer
Labourer

MCB permenantly tripped after changing ceiling rose

by cfox01 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:37 pm

Hi
Just changed a ceiling rose in the bedroom which has caused an MCB to trip. The light is on a circuit with lights in another bedroom, bathroom (inc. ex. fan) and kitchen. Initially put the cause down to maybe mixing the 3 black wires up (3 cables feed into this ceiling rose) and not selecting the 'switch' one correctly. However after disconnecting all wires on the rose the MCB remains tripped and will not sit up. Tried several approaches to correct the problem after looking at other posts on this website, including connecting the light switch and various combinations of the black wires to terminal blocks to test for power to other lights, but with no success. The MCB remains tripped making it impossible to test and isolate where the fault might be.
Is there anyway I can reset the MCB or find a way of detecting the fault?
Thanks for your help.......much appreciated!

kuzz
Ganger
Ganger

by kuzz » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:45 pm

If you are putting the power on and the mcb is tripping you have a wiring fault and need an electrician. If the mcb won't re-set even with no power to the fuse board on, then the mcb is knackered. Possibly blown apart inside if you did get the switch wire in with the blacks.

cfox01
Labourer
Labourer

by cfox01 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:11 pm

Thanks for this

Seems like the MCB is blown. Is this something I can fix or will I have to call in the experts?

kuzz
Ganger
Ganger

by kuzz » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:31 pm

To change the mcb very easy. power off, fuse board cover off, take the wire out the top, unscrew the mcb. to fit the new one reverse the process. Ensure all connections are tight. You don't want the same problem again though so check your light is wired correctly. There are some diagrams to follow on this site if you are unsure.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:13 pm